Diabetes Education for Patients
The Patient Education Kiosk with X-Plain® Diabetes Education Software
- Used by the nurses to educate patients and families about Diabetes.
- The nurse brings the kiosk to the patient’s room and gives them a brief introduction and demonstration.
- Patient receives a packet of information about the kiosk and how to use it.
How does the Patient Education Kiosk work?
- The nurse leaves the patient so the patient can do the education in private
- If the patient is a poor reader, they can listen to the information
- The program is interactive so the patient at the end of each page needs to touch the screen to go to the next page or repeat the page.
- At the end of each module/topic, there is a patient evaluation of the program which consists of 7 questions.
- After completing the evaluation, the patient receives a summary printout of the information and a certificate of completion when the module/topic is complete.
- The nurse returns to review with the patient and answer any questions. The certificate is signed and placed in the Medical Record documenting the education.
- The nurse is free to attend to other duties.
- No delays in starting the education waiting for an interpreter if the patient’s primary language is Spanish.
- The nurse brings the Blood Glucose Meter to the patient as they are learning from the module. The hands-on activity increases learning.
- Information is always given in a consistent manner, no topic is missed.
- Patient learns in private.
- Summary print out is in a large font for easier reading when at home.
- Kiosk education experience is documented, recorded and consistent.